The Henry B. Clarke House is the oldest house in Chicago and the earliest example of Greek Revival Architecture. The house and surrounding four-acre park are owned and maintained by the City of Chicago Cultural Affairs Division.
The National Society of The Colonial Dames of America in the State of Illinois owns the furnishings collection, cares for the collection and supports educational programs. The Clarke House Interpretation focuses on the social history of pre-Civil War Chicago (1836-1860) during a period of economic expansion and industrialization. Visitors learn about architecture, furniture, decorative arts and the links and similarities with the lives of Chicago's citizens today.
The story is told of a middle-class family settling in Chicago, Henry Clarke's professional career, the social and holiday customs, the children's lives and how his wife Caroline raised her family after Henry died.
For more information, to get involved, or to pledge a donation to the Illinois Chapter of the National Society of The Colonial Dames of America go to:
Louise Tausche Email: LITmails@aol.com
The National Society of The Colonial Dames of America